On Tues of last week I had my first ultrasound for this pregnancy. I've been meaning to get this post done sooner but I was waiting to get the pics of the ultrasound scanned on my mom's computer so I could include them in my post, but I still don't have that done and if I don't get this post up it will never make it. So no ultrasound pics, but we still have fun news.
This ultrasound was totally different from the one that I had done with Nanna. 1st: the one with Nanna was a Fetal Fotos type ultrasound where you are just finding out the sex of the baby. So with this ultrasound being a full diagnostic one, it was a really cool experience. 2nd: this baby was totally playing with Kent (Kent Harper was the ultrasonographer-my friend's dad), whereas Nanna was hiding from the gal that did hers.
Kent was so fun to talk to. He was telling me all sorts of stuff about the baby, and he has had extra training to be able to do a full heart exam on the baby. He said that people with his kind of training are not very common, (especially for our small area), even the big hospitals usually have to have patients sent out to have a full heart exam done and just that can cost $1000. So our OB's are very lucky because Kent includes a full heart exam in all of his OB exams as standard procedure. Most OB ultrasounds get just a 4 chamber view, the full heart exam has 12 different views. I had to roll on my side to get the last two even. I feel very privileged to have had Kent's experience and knowledge shared with me and to know that our baby has a beautiful heart. The other fun thing that I was totally amazed by is how much you could actually see and how he could measure all of the different little-I mean TINY-body parts of the baby. He measured bones, the head, the belly, kidneys; he checked where the umbilical cord was inserted to make sure that was good with no problems. I just laid there in total awe the whole hour. It went by too fast. But the best part was when he put it in 3D mode and we could see actual features of the baby. He even said for only being 20 weeks she already has beautifully strong features. In the 3D shots you can see lips, nose, eyes, mouth, chin, chest and ribs, arm and fist, and the umbilical cord. She is beautiful already! It was soooo cool. I will definitely be requesting him for ALL of my ultrasounds. Then, just in case you missed it earlier when I slipped, the best best part came when he asked if I wanted to know what the baby was. I said yes, so he closed in on the "parts" and said, "It's a Girl, all I see are butterflies, no turtles." I totally laughed. I was so excited that we are having another little girl but I thought it was hilarious how he put it. It must have been totally obvious because during my ultrasound another Rad Tech came in to ask Kent a question and with only a glance at the screen he said congrats on the wee one and it being a girl. I didn't catch what he said at first, it took a sec. for it to hit. So I asked Kent to double check at the end and that's when he said the butterflies and turtles comment.
We are so blessed to be having another sweet little spirit come to our family. Savannah is such a joy in our lives, even through the rough, grumpy times, that I can't wait to see what dynamic this little girl will bring to our table. We are all so excited, Nanna can't wait and poor Jon is going to be out numbered by girls even more now. I will put a couple of pics of the ultrasound on my blog when I eventually get them scanned on the my computer.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Coming Soon...
brought to you by B at 2:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













4 notes of love:
congrats, we need more girls!
Happy day Brooke Dahling! We can't wait to see her either. She will be so adorable...She couldn't help being cute with such a cute mom and dad. We love you and look forward to a formal kicking introduction for Thanksgiving! Love, Quie
Congratulations! We are so happy for you guys! What is it with the infulx of estrogen in our family? It's okay, we need it! LOVE YA!
Congrats! I am so happy for you.
Post a Comment